I grew up with a white Mum and Dad whom I love very much.
2. What is your nickname?
3. What is your greatest fear?
To live in a world full of unhappy people.
4. Describe your writing style in ten words?
Real characters with real problems, fears, love, challenges and inspirations.
5. Tell us five positive words that describe you as a writer?
Daydreamer, persistent, enthusiastic, adventurous, adaptive.
6. What book character would you be, and why?
I would be a strong female character who fights off the baddies, who will never give up, not matter how hard the challenge. Because I’m a girl and I don’t like baddies.
7. If you could time travel, what year would you go to and why?
That’s easy, I’d go back to 1960 when my black Mum, Gran, Pop and Uncle were alive. We’d meet up, eat great tucker and have a long yarn.
8. What would your ten year-old self say to you now?
I reckon she’d say “It’s Okay...Enjoy the journey, laugh out loud and don’t forget the music.”
9. Who is your greatest influence?
My family especially my white Dad, he was a great storyteller.
10. What/who made you start writing?
The voices in my head told me to do it, so I did.
11. What is your favourite word and why?
I'm sorry but I have two favourite words, Scrimshanker and fart, they both make me smile.
12. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Adam's Empire by Evan Green, a great Australian story that should be made into film.
Sue McPherson is a visual artist living in Eumundi, Queensland. A weekend writing workshop inspired Sue to write for young adults with the resulting novel, Grace Beside Me (published by Magabala Books), winning the kuril dhagun Indigenous Writing Competition through the State Library of Queensland. It was also shortlisted for the 2013 Prime Minister’s Literary Awards (YA category) and a finalist in the 2012 Deadly Awards (Outstanding Achievement in Literature category).
If you are an author or illustrator who thinks they are BRAVE enough to answer our questions,
OR if there is an author or illustrator you would like to hear from, LET US KNOW!
We will see if they are up to the task. Just email: susanATkids-bookreviewDOTcom