I will listen to almost any kind of music and read almost any kind of book and eat almost any kind of food, but I’ve never drunk alcohol.
2. What is your nickname?
My sister calls me Face (which is short for Banana Face).
3. What is your greatest fear?
Something bad happening to my kids.
4. Describe your writing style in ten words.
I do a little of everything. My style is me.
5. Tell us five positive words that describe you as a writer.
persistent dedicated excited curious eager
6. What book character would you be, and why?
I like being myself, flaws and all. But I wouldn’t mind stepping into a superhero’s shoes for a bit. Just for the superpowers, mind you, not the angst and tragedy.
7. If you could time travel, what year would you go to and why?
I’d love to step into a Jane Austen novel, visit the Regency Era.
8. What would your ten-year-old self say to you now?
I can’t believe we did it!
9. Who is your greatest influence?
My husband. We talk through everything. He’s my sounding board and my partner.
10. What/who made you start writing?
I was always making up stories, but when I was 10 my school teacher started us writing poems and stories and I was hooked.
11. What is your favourite word and why?
Okay. That’s the word I love to hear from my kids.
12. If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I find that idea nightmarish. I love variety.
Shannon Hale is the bestselling author of novels for children and adults. Her most recent books include the Princess Academy titles, Princess Academy (KBR review) and Princess Academy: Palace of Stone. Her latest novel, Dangerous, will be published by Bloomsbury in March 2014. You can find out more about Shannon and her writing by visitng her website and Facebook page.
If you are an author or illustrator who thinks they are BRAVE enough to answer our questions,
OR if there is an author or illustrator you would like to hear from, LET US KNOW!
We will see if they are up to the task. Just email: susanATkids-bookreviewDOTcom