My real name is Belinda, but I have been known as Binny for many years.
2. What is your nickname?
3. What is your greatest fear?
4. Describe your Illustrating style in ten words.
Influenced by textile and graphic design, whimsical, modern and sometimes cute, textural, surreal.
5. Tell us five positive words that describe you as an Illustrator.
Mischievous, messy, playful, curious, whimsical.
6. What book character would you be, and why?
Alice from Alice in Wonderland, as my days consist of immersing myself into unknown surreal worlds to create pictures children’s stories
7. If you could time travel, what year would you go to and why?
The 60’s or 70’s so I could wear flares and platforms. I love retro illustration styles, it would have been interesting to be part of that emergence of pushing the boundaries creatively, from the stiffness of the 40’s and 50’s.
8. What would your ten-year-old self say to you now?
Wow look at that awesome wacom cintiq tablet you draw onto, that is much cooler technology than the Game & Watch toy I am playing with.
9. Who is your greatest influence?
My family, they mostly all artists in some form, so I think we all influence each other, I share a studio with my brother and sister!
10. What/who made you start illustrating?
As a child I loved picture books, also growing in a family of artists it was very normal to be creating all the time. I started out as a designer/art director and used to draw creatures all over my notes during meetings.
11. What is your favorite picture book and why?
Mouk by Marc Boutavant, he has such delightful funny characters, also a really graphic style and great sense of colour, each little animal has so much personality.
12. If you could only read one picture book for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Anything by Shaun Tan, you would never get bored, there is always something new to see in his gorgeous detailed pictures.
Visit Binny Talib's website for more information about her illustrations and other creative projects, including a gorgeous Advent Calender app.
If you are an author or illustrator who thinks they are BRAVE enough to answer our questions,
OR if there is an author or illustrator you would like to hear from, LET US KNOW!
We will see if they are up to the task. Just email: firstname.lastname@example.org